Would you like to learn how to sew your own bra, one that fits your body and expands your sewing skills?
Join the Queen of Cups for a hands-on, two day workshop where:
- you’ll learn about the structure of bras and the materials suitable for bra making
- You’ll receive a bra pattern that is fit specifically for you, so you can make as many bras as you would like for yourself!
- you’ll construct at least one, possibly two bras based on your pattern, in a small class setting (four people maximum.)
The Course Includes:
- Two days of instruction from professional bra maker Abby Pond
- One complete essential bra kit, which includes the fabric, elastics, findings (sliders and rings, hook and eye closure and bow), and underwires
- One copy of the Pinup Girls Classic bra pattern in your size range
- One personalized, fitted bra pattern for you
- Course materials on bra construction process, materials, and more
- Coffee, tea, and refreshments throughout the day
You will also have the opportunity to purchase additional bra kits, fabric, findings, wires, and learning materials. The fabric in a bra kit is usually enough to construct 2 bras, but you will need to purchase the findings, elastics and wires to complete it.
By the end of the two days, you will have completed at least one basic bra in a pattern fit for you, and have learned the skills to construct your own bras at home with pattern fitted to you.
Space is limited to 6 participants in this session. That ensures you receive lots of personal attention from the instructor.
This course is not for beginning sewists. You will need to have solid basic sewing skills, including sewing straight and curved seams. Experience working with 1/4″ seams is also an asset. If you can set a sleeve in a garment, you should be fine!
What to bring
You will need to bring the following with you when you come to your course:
- a functioning sewing machine (please test it before you come) that has straight stitch and zig zag stitch at a minimum; 3-step zigzag and lightning/serpentine stitch are preferable too. If you need a machine, a limited number are available to rent.
- all the cords and the pedal for your machine
- an extension cord
- a package of 75/11 Stretch needles (Schmetz is recommended, you can order in advance)
- Rotary cutter and mat (optional)
- Paper Scissors, SHARP fabric scissors, thread snips
- 1/4″ foot or a foot to ensure a perfect 1/4″ seam allowance
- Topstitching foot or a stitch-in-the-ditch foot if you have one
- Regular polyester thread in white or a pastel colour (can be ordered from the Queen of Cups in advance)
- Fabric marking pen that is washout (or Frixion pens)
- A seam ripper, spare bobbins, a tape measure, a small ruler. Optional are a seam gauge.
- Drafting paper, scotch tape (if you don’t have on hand, I have plenty!)
- A water bottle, snacks and your lunch (coffee and tea are available for free on site)
- If you like extra light when you are sewing, you can bring your own sewing lamp.
It’s a good idea to label all your supplies with your name so they don’t get mixed up with others.